Thursday, November 5, 2015

Writing challenge, Day 6: someone who fascinates you and why

When I was in high school, I decided that I wanted to be an architect. (A little influence from a certain Mike Brady, perhaps?) I took architectural drafting in 12th grade and drew up the plans for a basic house. Everyone had to draw the same house and there was little design involved. We did get to choose our roof style and exterior trim, however. If I recall, I got an A or B in the class. While in 11th grade, we took a field trip to a trade show and I spoke to an architect who belonged to an association of women architects. She was very informative and gave me some good ideas as to how I might become an architect, but at the time I read someplace that there would be ten mechanical drafting positions for every one architectural one. Needless to say, my plans to become an architect were more or less derailed and I headed into engineering instead. Just a year after high school, I did get a drafting job, but it was mechanical drafting—small metal parts and assemblies. Now my focus was going into mechanical engineering. Still working on that—at the rate I'm going, I should have my career going by the time I'm 82.

Despite where I ended up, I've never lost my interest in the design of structures and buildings. One of the most famous architects was Frank Lloyd Wright. He was known for thinking outside the building when it came to design. It would have been wonderful to meet him, but he passed away in April 1959 at the ripe old age of 91, just four months before I arrived on the planet. Thankfully, some of his buildings still exist in the greater Los Angeles area, so I should do a little research to find these gems and take myself on a little safari to check them out.

You can't not appreciate someone who not only did their job well, but took it to the next level.

Tomorrow I'll talk about tattoos. So stay tat-tooned...

No comments:

Post a Comment