Thursday, November 26, 2015

Writing challenge, Day 26: things you'd say to an ex

Unlike many people, I don't have a lot of "exes." When I reached dating age, I didn't do a lot of dating. Long story on that, but I'll spare all of you the horror for now and address that in a future post.

For the sake of the challenge, though, what would I say to an ex? Absolutely nothing. You read that correctly---nothing. The easy road is to get up in their face and give them the kind of tongue lashing that they won't like. Yeah, letting out your frustrations is good for you, so say doctors and counselors. But for the person on the receiving end, one thing even worse than a barrage of insults is...silence.

Why is that? No one knows what you're thinking when you say nothing, and that can be scary. Surely you have something to say about the breakup or its aftermath. You must! Most people do and will be more than happy to tell you, but not me. The silence will eat at them more than they think. Almost like killing them with kindness. Not very nice, really, but as I always say, I'm not like regular people. I should trademark that saying...

At some point, though, I would likely sit down with said ex and have a reasonable discussion to clear the air. The yelling and screaming and insults just don't cut it with me. That's not how I do things.

Next time, I'll tell you all about what I wore that day. Gather round, friends and fashionistas alike. Stay groomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment