Thursday, November 19, 2015

Writing challenge, Day 19: five fears that you have

As I hinted at the bottom of the last post, I do indeed have a fear or five in this life. It's really hard not to these days. You'd be quite surprised at how many big, strong, macho guys have things that give them the willies or, at the very least, make them very uncomfortable. I don't have the "big, strong, macho" part, but fears...indeed. Here are five of mine, listed in no particular order.

Being in a plane crash. Or a train wreck, or a bus crash. Point being that while many of those incidents are surviveable, many are not. Accidents involving ground transportation vehicles can, of course result in many injuries and fatalities, but because they occur quickly, there's little time to contemplate the outcome. In a plane crash, passengers usually know that they're going down, giving them time for their lives to flash before their eyes and to know that they may never see loved ones again. Movies have dramatized this, but I believe the reality isn't too far off. The thought of leaving my loved ones behind in any way isn't a pleasant one.

Thunder and lightning. Most people I know love thunder and lightning. My Grandma Long was said to open the curtains so she could watch the celestial light show. Where I got my fear of it is a mystery to me. Thunder can be quite loud as we all know. I don't like loud. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of rock concerts. Since thunder follows lightning, a flash of it means that some loud noise will follow.

Losing my daughter. I have always thought that losing a child is one of the worst things that a parent could experience. Diana is my only child, and we have always had a special relationship. I cannot imagine life without her. Next summer she's planning a trip to Europe with a good friend. There are always risks involved during such a trip, and recent events in Paris don't exactly make me feel comfortable with her going. All I can do is pray for their safety and hope that their trip is memorable as well as safe.

Running out of money. Like so many people, I have little saved for the future. Whatever I get from Social Security won't go far. My hope is that I can continue to do something that will provide an income. If I'm busy working at 75 years old, it's OK if I'm doing something I enjoy.

Losing a body part. That's a nice way of saying "amputation." As everyone from here to Timbuktu knows, I'm diabetic. As a child, I feared getting diabetes because I didn't want to lose my toes, feet, eyesight, etc. As I've learned, those things don't necessarily happen, especially if you take good care of yourself and manage your condition. Of course, I could just as well be involved in some sort of accident and lose something. That could be why I'm so careful when I drive or operate power tools.

Next time, I'll crank up my iPod or equivalent and have some fun with music. Stay in tune...

No comments:

Post a Comment