What inspired this post is the fact that in just a couple of weeks, I will celebrate the 18th anniversary of bringing my current car home from the dealer (purchase date 2/2/2002—too many twos to not remember. If only that date had been a Tuesday...) Most people don't keep a car for 18 years. I drove my previous car for almost 19 years. It was on its last legs, but had racked up about a quarter-million miles. (I say "about" because the odometer actually stopped at around 209,000-ish miles, and I drove it for several more years.) My current car is approaching the quarter-million mark (248,000 or so at last glance) and is in much better shape than my last car was at the same age, and it's only the third car I've ever owned in 45 years of driving.
![]() |
| My beloved and thrice-stolen 1983 Toyota Supra |
Before going on, I need to clarify that despite what the caption says, that is not my car, though mine was identical to it and did in fact come into the hands of thieves three times. I just don't have any photos of it in electronic format, so I had to find one online. I really need to find someone new to write my captions. I never say "thrice." That's so...quaint and kind of "ewww" at the same time. If you'd like, you can read about my car's misadventures here.
Anyway, since we're sharing photos, here's a photo of my current car, a 2002 Honda CR-V:
![]() |
| My 2002 Honda CR-V |
Lori's previous car racked up 330,000 miles before she had to retire it and get a new one. With good care, cars will last that long or even longer. Especially if they're a reliable brand or model in the first place.
At this writing, if I had to buy a new car, say, tomorrow, I'd look at a Honda Passport, Subaru Forester, or a Toyota RAV-4. They're all a bit bigger than my CR-V. I don't like or need a big car; I like the size of mine. Its turning circle is amazing; it seats five people, though four is more comfortable; holds plenty of stuff; and even came with its own picnic table that can be taken out of the car and used as an extra table at an event where the need might arise. The table serves as the floor of the back area and covers a big well where additional things can be stored. Even the newest CR-V is nice. It's still about the same size as mine, though a bit bigger.
Of course, even though I'm happy with my current car, I do sometimes think it's time for a new one. I can dream all day about a new car, but I need to get a job and put away some money before that ever happens. I won't ramble about that here. That's for another post.


No comments:
Post a Comment