Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Public libraries—what are they supposed to be?

I don't recall if I've ever written anything about that wonderful thing known as the public library, but given some of the experiences that I've had at our local one, I thought it was about time. If you aren't interested in what I've written here, then take yourself over to your own public library and check out a book or two. Just don't actually use a check mark. They don't really like that...

Waaay back in the '60s when I was but a wee lad, we lived a few blocks from the public library in North Hollywood. That branch is still there to this day. Every time I visit Mom, I drive right past it on my way to her house. One of the things I remember about going to the library was that when you were inside, you were to keep quiet. No talking, no running around. If you HAD to say something, it was to be in a whisper or else one of the library ladies would shush!!! you. Index finger to their lips, then "SHHH!!!" You knew that if they had to shush you more than once, then those narrow slits of their eyes and their raised eyebrows would be on you for the rest of the time you were there, and if they'd had enough, you'd find yourself outside and told not to come back that day. Not a pleasant thing, but you learned your lesson: be quiet in the library. But the efforts to maintain quiet in the library paid off. If you wanted some peace and quiet, you knew that you could get it at the library. And it was free, too.

Los Angeles Public Library, Amelia Earhart branch
North Hollywood CA

Of course, back in the day, people were very different from what they are today. At that time, people were more likely to follow the rules and be more considerate to others than folks of today tend to be. What inspired today's post was a guy I had the misfortune of sitting next to at the library. He was watching a football game, which is fine if you're simply watching it. But no, he was pounding the desk, cheering on his team, griping or swearing when they missed a touchdown or whatever. That's fine when you're watching the game at home or at a friend's house, but annoying when you're in the library. Hard to believe, but some people are there to do homework or research. Making noise or aggressive gestures (pounding tables, cussing out someone who's not even physically there, etc.) is flat out annoying and disturbing to others.

I can only speak for my local library since that's the one I use, but I would guess that anything I say applies to pretty much any public library. It's really impossible to have a library so quiet that you can hear a pin drop, though that would be nice. But a place where there is peace and quiet seems to be a foreign concept.

For whatever reason, the staff seems to ignore the noisemakers. Cell phones are not supposed to be used; if you need to make or take a call, there's a room where you can have your call and a little privacy, too. Occasionally, a staff member will tell someone to go into the room to finish their call, but more often they ignore it. For whatever reason, though, when I receive a call, they're right on top of me to get into that room.

Is there a solution? The best I can do is to try and meet with the director of the library and see if they would agree to put some standards into place. I met him once and found him to be personable. Unfortunately, having too many standards in place would make it difficult for most people because they can't seem to do without their music, devices, and so forth. I think it would be great if the library had a quiet room, similar to the "quiet cars" that some commuter railroads have implemented in recent years. In the quiet car, people are not allowed to play music or videos, and need to keep their conversations quiet and to a minimum.

Camarillo Library
Camarillo CA

It seems that some of the folks who run the library want it to become a social club. If a certain area is devoted to that, then fine. But put it somewhere off to the side or encourage people to go to the little snack bar outside by the entrance (just to the left of the fountain in the photo above). There are tables and chairs for people to use, and I believe they have free wi-fi. There are folks [points at self] who would like a quiet environment as described above.


In today's society, courtesy toward others seems to have become a foreign concept. We see it almost everywhere we go. The "I'll do what I want" attitude has become the norm.

The truth is that I can do most anything computer related at home with my phone or tablet, but I like to get out of the house occasionally for a change of scenery and to interact with others. It would be nice if I could get out and know that there is a place where I can work comfortably and that it will be peaceful and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment