I know I haven't written much of anything about this, but I must confess to being a lifelong people watcher. Perhaps my quiet nature pushed me toward being that way. I watch and study the actions and movements of others, but by no means do I reach out and actually touch anyone. That would be kind of...ewww.
In all seriousment, I don't dislike people by any stretch of the imagination. Quite the opposite, actually. As a youngster, I was shy and didn't say much even if the people I were with were much loved family members or friends. Being part of a big family (second oldest of five kids!), being so quiet likely resulted in "getting lost in the shuffle." Not only am I quiet from the standpoint of saying little, but the volume of my voice is rather low. I hear the word "what?" a lot. It's because they didn't hear me, that's why.
So, if you can't get 'em to interact with you, you get 'em to entertain you instead. And you really don't need to do anything. Just watch and listen! For whatever reason, we quiet folks are presumed to be off in our own little world. No one thinks we're listening. Over the years, I've overheard some very...interesting...conversations because people oftentimes aren't careful about what they're saying or where they're saying it. Why? Because that quiet guy sitting nearby isn't paying any attention.
Oh, yes he is.
Don't get me wrong, however. I've never overheard anyone planning a murder or making plans to break into the White House or Fort Knox. Just the basic gossip about co-workers, family members, spouses and so forth. Regardless of what was said, I don't run around telling others what I've heard because it's none of my business—or anybody's for that matter. The one exception to this that I'd make is if I heard something that could seriously be threatening to someone.
What people say isn't always entertaining or even interesting to be honest. What some people do, however, can be quite funny. Over the years I've managed to capture some very funny stuff with those two eyeballs of mine. For the sake of your sanity, I won't get into anything specific here.
One of my favorite people watching spots is the local theme park—in my case, Six Flags Magic Mountain. I've had a season pass for 25 years now, so I can go out there as often as I want. Even on days when I don't feel like riding much, I spend the day walking around, or parking myself on a bench to take in the sights, smells and sounds of the place. For me this is at least as entertaining as watching a bunch of millionaires out on a field or in an arena battling to win a game. In a sense, it's free entertainment. If I spent the time, I could come up with plenty to share here, but it's not really the same thing as observing it firsthand. We all have our favorite stories.
Now that my age begins with a "6," it's not too likely that I'm going to change my ways anytime soon. From now until my dying day, I'm going to observe others. I'm going to listen but say nothing. So when the time comes that I'm on my deathbed, you'd better not do or say anything that you wouldn't want me to see or hear. I've heard that the last sense that people have before slipping into their final sleep is their hearing. That means I'll know what you said and who knows how I'll use that information in the next life. [winks]
No comments:
Post a Comment