I've been making all sorts of noise about my tenth blogiversary coming up, and guess what? It's here. On December 18, 2009, I wrote and published my very first blog post and joined the many others who do the same thing. True to my style, however, there's not going to be a big, giant celebration with cake and ice cream, confetti, fireworks, etc. With only a handful of people who actually read what I write, there's no point to going to great expense and time in jail for a celebration where a bumper sticker message reading "My other car is a Porsche" is longer than the guest list.
With my blogiversary approaching, I gave some serious thought about what I wanted to do to mark the occasion. Dogs mark things by lifting their legs and peeing on them. Nope, not my style. Cats claw the heck out of things. Not my style, either. I could spend the post reminiscing about what's taken place during the last ten years. Not interesting, said Eric.
And then it struck me. I don't even celebrate my own birthday for crying out loud. Why would I/should I create a giant fiasco for this creation of mine? Back in 2014, I wrote a post about my daughter. She's a creation worthy of celebrating.
I've been asked, "What is a blog? What do you write about? How do you do it?" And a hundredteen other questions. The answers? A blog is short for "web log." (Say that fast and you can figure out where the "blog" part came from.) I write about whatever I want. I use a Google application called Blogger. Well, those are the short answers. Just as in real life, my answers are brief and to the point. I don't say much in this life—never have, and probably never will. Frustrating for some; a relief for others. There is a reason for that, and someday I'll write about it. There are reasons why I am the way I am. One day, I'll get it all down either here in my blog or in my autobiography, should I ever decide to write one. Unfortunately, there are some folks still walking the Earth who need to be written about, but I can't do so until after they're in the ground and cold. That means I have to wait. Long stories there, but all of mine are "Long" stories...
The beauty of it all is that it gives me plenty of things to write about. Enough to fill a lifetime, perhaps. If I manage to keep it going, by the time I reach my 20th blogiversary in 2029, I'll have paid off my house, Los Angeles will have held its third Summer Olympic games, I'll have reached age 70 and collecting my Social Security benefit of $1.14 a month.
All right, time to get serious here.
I like to think that I've shared some things in my life with those of you who read this blog. And that's really what this blog is about. As the tagline says, My life's experiences mixed with a lot of utter nonsense, I write about what I experience, be it the serious stuff or the silly stuff. I just turned 60 last summer. For some, that's over the hill. For me, I'm just getting started. The health issues I've written about are kind of like the proverbial Legos on the floor when you walk through the room barefoot. It hurts a bit when you step on one (OK, a LOT!!!), but you get over it and move on. But this fat, 60-year-old diabetic will still get on a roller coaster, work a roulette table, or hop in the car to take a random 100+-mile drive to...anywhere. I have friends who are waiting for me to go visit them. 400 to 800 miles' worth of driving each way. All the way into [*GASP!*] other states. Sometime before I leave this earth, I need to visit more states to up my count from its pathetic seven. But more importantly, to go visit friends whom I've missed. A state of iffy health doesn't lend itself to a long drive. But I'll get there.
Congratulations to me for reaching ten years of blogging [tries to pat self on back, pulls shoulder out of socket]. And here's to at least ten more.
No comments:
Post a Comment