Monday, July 7, 2014

The birth of Eric's Planet

The last time I wrote something in my blog, it was just a bunch of random ramblings of randomnation or some such stuff. That might have even been the title for all I know. Truth is, I can't even remember what I wrote without going back to look at it.

There are times when I just can't think of anything to write about, so I don't write anything. Major case of writer's block. But running out of blog topics should be unpossible. There are too many things going on in this world, and, truthfully, there aren't enough people who are able or willing to write about those things. I should be one of them.

Normally, when I do write something, I'll do my writing in the evening, usually not long after dinner. That way, I've fed my brain and reached just the right stage of awakenment to achieve the best results. Sometimes a brief walk will help as well. Night air does something to my thought process. Unfortunately, if I go too far, then I forget what I thought about before I can get those thoughts recorded. That's a clear sign of aging. Remember, for me, the ol' double-nickel birthday is nigh. To be fair, one of the few places where 55 is considered old is at Denny's. They'll give you a discount on your meal if you can show them your age. But when was the last time I ate at Denny's (voluntarily)? Nineteen ninety...something...

For this entry, I'm trying something a little different from my usual way of doing things. It's pushing 2am, the house is empty and dark, and it's just my computer and me. The Mrs is somewhere in the middle of the state and won't return for a couple of days. Diana will be back sometime tomorrow, and Chimi is in his cage enjoying his dinner and scaring off intruders. I'm shaved, showered, diapered, and ready for bed*. There will be no politics or gossip in today's installment since I do neither.

* Not everything in this sentence is true.

I am envious of people who are so full of ideas that they can just sit down and hammer out a post in little or no time. At one time, I kept a journal. In reality, it was more of a daily log because I never wrote my thoughts or ideas in it. All I did was chronicle my days. I wrote my first entry on January 1, 1989. My first journal was one of those Hallmark journals with blank pages. Everything in it was written in longhand, as I didn't own a computer in those days, and it would be next to impossible to load a book into a typewriter. My journals were kept like that for two years. In 1991, I had use of a word processor and started doing it that way. The downside was that since that word processor was at work, I could only write on days that I was in the office. Mondays meant recording what I did on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The program I used was some ancient word processing program called "Multi-Mate." I can't even remember now who put that out or if it still exists in some form.

Once I got my own computer, I had Microsoft Word, which not only enabled me to have more control over how my journal looked, but I could also write whenever I wanted. My journal goes all the way from January 1, 1989 till about mid-October 2006. That's when my health was declining and I was headed for the hospital. (You can read all about that here.) I just couldn't keep up, lost track, and, as Porky Pig used to say, "That's all, Folks!"

However, I must say that if anything good came out of my journal, it was that I recorded some of the most important things in my life: learning that I was going to be a dad, Diana's birth, her growth and development, and her achievements.

Along came 2009, and I had become reconnected with my long lost friend from high school, Terri Anderson. On her Facebook page, I noticed a link to her blog. I read it and thought it would be great if I could do that. A little research revealed that anyone could get their own blog, so I signed up. And it's free! Since getting my health back in order, I imagined writing so much stuff that my fingers would bleed. Such has not been the case, however. Something is clearly borken on my end.


Another friend, Allen Wyly, started his blog after I did, but has written many, many more blog entries than I have. And he does a great job with his.

I have my work cut out for me. If I'm going to call myself a blogger, then I'd better blog. And what better way to do that than to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment