Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What does God have in store for me?

When I was growing up, I was taught that God watches over us and has a plan for each of our lives. During my own life, things have always seemed to fall into place and work out just fine. As a result, I have never doubted that God was in fact guiding me through life, steering me down the path that He knew was best for me. There were no reasons to have doubts, and I never did.

Most of you who know me are aware that I've been out of work for quite some time. One of my top prayer requests is to rejoin the workforce so I can contribute something to the community and earn a paycheck once again. (Those kind of help out with household expenses and other stuff.) I've prayed when I was out walking, driving somewhere, sitting quietly at home. There have been a few nibbles, but no bites. Our nation's sour economy over the last few years certainly didn't do anyone any favors, but things have been looking up for a little while now.  So why am I still not employed? Could I be looking harder? Of course I could, but when relatively few jobs in my line of work are out there in the first place, and with so many others competing for those few jobs, my chances are greatly reduced.

Just within the last week, I had an opportunity to work as a technical writer for a company that has a contract for work at one of our local Navy bases. As I wrote in my last post, I felt good about that interview and felt like I had a good shot at getting the job. But as I learned via e-mail this morning, someone else beat me out.

I always thought that the Internet would make things like job seeking easier. If anything, it's made that harder. Employers can hide from you by providing no contact information. And few employers these days even bother to let you know where you stand if you've submitted a resume to them. (One exception is the company that I referenced above.) Many of the tried-and-true methods of looking for work are obsolete today. You can no longer go "door to door" to find work because that's now considered "creepy." No one wants you to follow up about an interview.

While it's frustrating to keep waiting, I have to trust that God knows what He's doing. There is obviously a position that is suited for me somewhere. I need to be patient and wait it out. If God does things in my life the way that He always has, then something will come when I least expect it. It may not be exactly what I want, but it'll be what's best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment