Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Drive-Thru Nativity

Tonight I visited my very first drive-thru Nativity event at the local Baptist church.  I'd read on their website that there were four scenes that you drove past, and over the course of the drive, you'd see and hear the story of the Nativity.  Having grown up in a Baptist church myself, I already knew this story by heart, but was interested in seeing how it was enacted here.

But first, dinner.  I had a $5 off coupon for any merchant in the Camarillo Village Shopping Center.  And what better way to use that discount than to fill my tummy.  Greek food sounded good, so I stopped in at Daphne's.  Honestly, their food is to Greek what Taco Bell is to Mexican, but it is pretty good.  After downing a gyro, salad, rice, and a chicken kabob, I was ready to take on...THE STORY OF CHRISTMAS.

The church was on my way home, so I pulled into the driveway.  There was an arrow indicating where to turn in, and its visibility was such that I saw it just as I almost passed it.  I turned in and was welcomed by a young lady who handed me some church information, a survey card to fill out, and a candy cane.

I turned off my headlights and proceeded into the lot.  They had paper bags with candles inside marking the path through the course.  Somehow, as only I can do, I went off course, thinking that the scenes were behind the church.  I kept driving and in the dark found myself nose to nose with an old Crown school bus, preventing me from going any further.  Now, I know that crowns are mentioned in the Scriptures, but somehow I got the idea that this wasn't the kind they meant...

I had to back up to get back on course, but the crowds had not yet arrived.  That made it easy.  At each stop, a Real Live Person read a passage from Scripture on the drivers' left, while a scene from the Nativity was placed on the passenger side.  At the fourth scene, the guy asked for the survey card, wished me a Merry Christmas, and sent me on my way.

Overall, an A for effort.  In future years, better signage might help other drivers get through without exploring the outer reaches of the parking lot.  Or maybe next time I go, I'll let someone else drive...

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Great entry. Is the Crown (not head wear) the red and white one you've emailed me?

    Personally, I think there should be a BIG paper arrow taped to the Crown Coach showing visitors like you, where to go.

    THANK GOD you've linked me to this blog. I'm lovin' it already!

    ReplyDelete