Wednesday, November 18, 2020

A good night's sleep is a foreign concept as of late

Sleep has not been coming easy for me these days, and it's starting to catch up with me. Between some health issues, financial issues, and a new-but-challenging friend having come into my life last year (more on that later if I remember), I can't seem to put my head on my pillow and allow my body to relax and catch that train to Dreamland. I toss and turn and eventually notice that it's starting to get light outside. THEN I fall asleep and wake up at 2:45pm. Despite the difficulties of getting to sleep, however, one night I did manage to have a dream about a favorite family restaurant having changed its name from "Little Toni's" to some random Italian word that made no sense. The restaurant had moved next door to its location (which is a garage in real life) with a completely rearranged layout, and the aforementioned new friend was there with me.

It's after 2am as I write this. Tonight isn't as cold as it's been the last few nights. It's quiet, and I just downed a cup of broccoli cheddar soup. Diana is who-knows-where, but she's 30 and doesn't have to tell Dad where she is or what she's doing anymore. Chimi is in his cage. The skylight is dark. And here I am writing a blog post.

Oh, how I'd like to jump into bed right about now. But not being sleepy leaves me the choice of tossing and turning or being at least a little productive by writing something. After all, I did threaten to write more in my blog in a recent Facebook post. I noticed that everyone cringed at the mere thought of that (and, worse, the reality of it), but I'm going to make good on it.

So now it's a new day. I made it to just past 3am before falling asleep in my chair. By some luck, I was up at 9:30. With a mediocre night's sleep behind me, breakfast, and a reading of today's paper, I'm back at this now. The weather has warmed up, and I may be able to leave the heater off. I'm rambling away here like I haven't rambled before. This may end up being the most random and wonkiest post I've ever made. As such, it's a perfect example of the perils of not getting enough good sleep. And I'd better fix that.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. A foreign concept. Makes me wonder what country you are referencing. Also makes me wonder what is a good night’s sleep, in the same yay I wondered when John and Paul sang about a hard day’s night. And I also started wondering about your new mystery friend and this person fits into this wandering wondering. Anyways, I look forward to the next episode, same eric channel, same eric place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the weird dreams I have are more cause for worry than anything else.

    ReplyDelete