Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Getting rid of all of the "Getting"

Sometimes I happen to notice some really small details about seemingly unimportant things in my life. For instance, I noticed that two of my recent blog posts were titled "Getting...[blah blah] somethinerother." Most people don't care about the titles I give to my posts. But noticing it in my index of posts just annoyed me. Too much "Getting." I was Getting sick of it. So here I am writing a post for the sole purpose of canceling out the "Getting." There's nothing wrong with the word "Getting," but since I was Getting tired of it, I decided that I'm Getting out of Dodge. I drive a Honda, anyway, so me Getting out of Dodge makes perfect sense—especially if the owner wants me out.

Nonsense aside, how are ya today? When asked that question, I tend to answer, "The truth or what I tell people?" That's obviously meant to bring a smile to the face of whoever I'm talking to and add a little humor into the conversation. All too often, though, most people respond with SeriousFace™ and a stern, "The truth." Perhaps the humor escapes them or they think I'm hiding something dangerous like a four-digit blood sugar level or a malignant tumor the size of a Corvette. But, honestly, smile lackage usually means that people are concerned. Thankfully, I know of very few people who would actually wish the worst on other people. It would be very difficult for me to wish ill will, disease, locusts, Camarillo drivers, Eric's Planet, or the zombie apocalypse onto others. We're all brothers and sisters on this planet after all. Try and imagine a civilization where we all took care of one another. It might be a pain at times, but the knowledge that each of us will be taken care of as needed is comforting. The world could use more of this. I'm glad my friends care enough to want to know the truth.

Aside from taking up time, the point of this post is simply an exercise in writing. Truth be told, all of my posts are for the sake of practicing my writing. Stories have been known to come out of that writeage, and sometimes those stories are worthy of adding to my index of blog posts, which end up being linked in a Facebook status update so that all of my friends can read them, he said in a run-on sentence that would have given Mr Buttee (high school English teacher, pronounced byoo-TAY) a heart attack. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I don't write for the sake of collecting "Likes" on Facebook. I write what I want to write about, or sometimes what I need to write about. It's good exercise for the mind, and good for the soul. If any of my posts click with a reader, then good has been done. Any "Likes" that I get on Facebook simply mean that my post(s) was/were read and liked. Simple as that.

My tenth blogiversary is coming up in a couple of months. I know I've been talking about that since the '70s, but it's closing in. Not to worry, though. It'll be memorable in one way or another. Make sure to alert your local authorities.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to have dinner and take care of that four-digit blood sugar level, among other things. It's Getting late...

No comments:

Post a Comment