Monday, September 24, 2018

Sometimes you just have to get out and do something...different

Most of my friends know that I'm more or less a creature of habit. While it's true that you never know what I'm going to say or do next, there are occasions where you can bet good money that I will do a certain thing, buy a certain thing, eat a certain thing, say a certain thing, and you'll be right. Even at fast food places, the clerks who know me have said, "You always get the same thing!" To which I have replied, "If I didn't get the same thing, it would be different. And different just isn't the same..." Laughs a-plenty. Tee hee and haw haw!

But life can get pretty boring if you do the same thing over and over. There comes a time when you need to change things up a bit. Funny how I know that, but never seem to do anything about it. Well, actually, sometimes I do. And sometimes it's on purpose. Last Saturday evening was a good example.

I took myself to the thee-a-tuh. (That's the hoity-toity way of saying "theatre.") I went not to see a movie, but to see an actual, live bunch of actors performing on a stage in front of a group of actual people keeping the chairs warm in anticipation of the entertainment they had paid for. And this wasn't any old performance. I carefully selected this show because one of the actors is a friend of mine. Chris is just getting into acting, and this was his first gig.

The show is a collection of short plays called Taboo! and was playing at the Actors Workout Studio (AWS) in North Hollywood, CA. I grew up in North Hollywood, and these days I go there to visit my family. We even eat at Little Toni's a couple of doors up from AWS. For whatever reason, I never even knew AWS was there.

But it's Saturday night and time to go out on the town. I put on some business casual clothes and headed on down. Lately I haven't gone many places or anywhere too far because my two front tires were worn to the wear bars. Luckily, I recently managed to get two new tires to replace them. Now I can go just about anywhere. All I have to do is point my car to wherever I want to go and...zoom!

It isn't a night at the theater unless you eat a gourmet meal before the show. There happens to be a Habit location right across the street, and that's gourmet enough for me.

After dinner, I set out to look for a place to park, which can be frustrating in the NoHo district. As I drove down Lankershim Blvd, I had to stop for a pedestrian crossing the street, headed toward the theater. And whaddaya know, that pedestrian was none other than my afore-mentioned friend Chris Higgins himself! Funny thing...he didn't recognize my car or me! But we did get to hang out for awhile after the show.

No matter...I had my ticket and went into the lobby at AWS to check in. The guy working was pretty cool and we chatted a bit. About 7:45, we were allowed to go into the theater and sit down. Right about 8, the lights went down, the people behind me kicked my seat (normal for me—long story), and the show got started.

I'm not going to give the show a big, long, detailed review because that isn't the point of this post. But I will say that it was a fun show and well done. For a couple of hours' worth of entertainment, Taboo! is a good choice.

It's hard to get out when you're not feeling well, which is the case for me much of the time anymore. I won't get into the hows, whys, whatnots, whatevers and wherefores now. An evening out is fun, even if it's only an occasional thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment